Two Fish...Three Fish

Wednesday, April 11, 2007
Blame me. I take full responsibility. I assumed I had the knowledge to keep my child’s Betta fish alive and healthy. I don’t, but I am learning. You see I kept a 30 gallon tank with the SAME fish for 6 years, in fact one still resides in that tank at my parents, going on year 7. But, that doesn’t mean I know Bettas.

After returning from Texas, I checked in on Bingo II and Bob II (ok, it’s time I admit that Bob I, given to us by our neighbor who no longer wanted to care for him, passed on a month ago. Chloe was so attached to him at that point that I replaced him with a look-alike, Bob II). They appeared to be doing well. I changed their water and fed them. All was right in Bingo II and Bob II land – so I thought. Yesterday morning, Bingo II did not tap on his tank to greet me when I got Chloe out of bed as is customary. Instead, he just slowly swam in one spot, lethargic. Oh, no. I added a drop of Betta medicine to his bowl hoping it would pick him up.

Well, after pre-school I went to put Chloe down for her nap and low and behold, Bob II was deceased. What! He appeared totally normal that morning. It was Bingo II that had concerned me. Poor Bob II had suffered from a quick onset of fin rot, which Bingo II also had. Since, Bingo II acted lethargic in the a.m., he got the medicine and was still alive, barely.

Not thinking I could pass Bob II as “asleep” for too much longer, after Chloe’s nap we went to Petco and picked up two new Bettas, one red (the new Bingo III) and one blue (he new Bob III). I was pre-emptive in purchasing Bingo III believing Bingo II was not long for this world.

So, we now have 3 Bettas. Two Bingos and one Bob. How is Bingo II? After another dose of Betta meds he appears to be making a recovery though he is now playing the role of Spike, Bingo's cousin, who is visiting (as he still may make an exit).

No comments