What Doin'?

Wednesday, November 15, 2006
I've been meeting with different alarm companies lately about our house. Each time I have asked them about alarming Chloe's room, they laugh. I'm not kidding though! This child needs constant monitoring and now that she is in a big girl bed she needs even more monitoring! I'm thinking motion detectors, a trip wire around her bed and on her door. Hey, it wouldn't be 24/7, only during her naptime (a.k.a. "mommy's sanity check time").

Chloe loves her big girl bed, but she has just discovered that she can get out of the big girl bed and open her door and get out! What fun! Yesterday, she escaped once and then on her 2nd attempt couldn't get the door open because it sticks. That led to screams of "Mommy, open this door!". So, we ran errands and a very tired Chloe slept in the car, where she was firmly strapped into her car seat and could not escape.

Today, our dog, Lizzie, has had a cough and we had to take her to the vet. Chloe was very excited to take Lizzie in the car to see "Lizzie's doctor". Chloe was even doing an impression of Lizzie's cough for our veterinarian. It was a high pitched-squeal of a cough. It sounded absolutely nothing like the raspy, hack that Lizzie has been wandering around our house doing for the past day. But, it was cute. From the moment we walked into the vet, Chloe demanded a cookie. After I repeatedly told her that I had no cookies, she settled on demanding a lolli-pop, which I didn't have either. So, most of the time in the examination room Chloe was saying, "Mommy, Mommy, I want a lollipop!" and me saying, "Mommy doesn't have a lollipop. You'll have to wait until we get home." It went on like this during the entire examination. The only change in Chloe's dialogue was to tell the doctor that Lizzie's name is "Banjo" (where this came from I will never know) and she has a fish named "Bingo" and, of course, her impersonation of Lizzie's cough.

After the diagnosis that Lizzie has a mild case of kennel cough and learning that the vaccination for kennel cough doesn't prevent it entirely, the car ride home was about getting a lollipop. When we finally arrived home Chloe got her much anticipated lollipop. The quiet lasted just long enough for me to give Lizzie her medicine before Chloe threw her lollipop at me and told me she wanted "gung" (gum) which I had made the mistake of putting in my mouth. I spit my gum out in the trash and told her I didn't have any more. She then threw a tantrum and decided she wanted her lollipop back which was stuck to my laptop. I then began to prepare lunch. Chloe took two bites, held up a potato and asked what it was and then threw it to the floor. She then picked up another bit of potato to squish it in her hands and then began drawing circles with it on her tray and smashing peas into the circle. Lunch time was over when Chloe put her entire fist in her bowl and yelled, "Chloe make a mess, NO! NO!". Chloe and I read a few stories before I laid her in her big girl bed for a nap. All was quiet for an hour until...I heard what sounded like the moving of furniture upstairs. I went up the stairs to find Chloe's bedroom light on and Chloe trying to move her rocking chair to get closer to the bookshelf. When I opened her bedroom door, I was greeted with, "Mommy! I made a mess with books!". Yes you did Chloe. To commemorate this moment, I ran downstairs to get the camera and met Chloe coming down the stairs. I snapped a photo of her room and was greeted again by Chloe who managed to open a drawer in the kitchen and find 2 fortune cookies. Chloe informed me she brought me a cookie and she wanted a cookie too. She sat on the stairs attempting to open the cookie. I opened the fortune cookie and she ate it. After finishing her cookie she told me she wanted to eat Mommy's fortune cookie now. Afterwards, Chloe came down to the basement with me so I could finish folding laundry. This inspired her to strip off her pull-up and put on Mommy's panties. It was quite a sight. As I type this, she is making her best effort to keep my underwear on and demanding more cookies and to type. So, I must sign off and go play with playdough. I will attempt to post some photos soon.

No comments