Entertainment for a 4 Year Old

Sunday, July 20, 2008
Chloe returns to camp next week so I will not be continually scrambling to entertain her. We did have a good week together but all the planning I had done for the week went out the window thanks to the hot weather. I had many outdoor excursions planned but had to scrap them as the temperatures were in the mid-90s and the ever-present humidity made it feel even hotter.

I wrote about going to the movies on Monday in my last post. Tuesday I went to my bootcamp workout and Chloe played in play care. Wednesday we went to the pool with friends and Chloe had a blast. Thursday was another bootcamp workout and listening to Chloe beg and beg to go to the park to play. It was only 95 degrees outside. We drove to a nearby park to discover it was deserted and so we returned home with the promise that we would go to the playground at the park first thing Friday morning. So, Friday morning found us at the park and the pool in the afternoon--this was Chloe's favorite day needless to say.

Even though my plans did workout, I did have fun with Chloe at home all day. We played together and colored together. It was great bonding time that we haven't had a lot of since the start of pre-school last fall.

Chloe showing off her Little Mermai*d press-on nails during "dress up" one day.

This weekend was also a scorcher. We went to breakfast as a family on Saturday and then headed into Matt's office in NYC to hang the portraits of Chloe he got for Father's Day. They were way too big to carry on the subway, so we made a day of it and went into the city in the morning before it got too hot.


The walls of the office where Matt works is covered in artwork. Some of it quite famous. Chloe loves wandering the hallway and giving her 4-year old critique of the artwork. Let's just say she like modern art, especially the art with the "blobs" of paint all over them---"it's funny" is her commentary. But, with all the art on the walls, she can focus in on the "famous" painting, dragging me down the hall to show me a painting she remembered and liked from her last visit to Daddy's office. It was a Ja*sper Jo*hns.

After our art tour at Matt's office we walked a couple of blocks over to this place. It was Matt's first visit. He didn't get it but he was a trooper and looked with Chloe as she picked out outfits for her dolls, Ivy and Kylie. The visit was courtesy of Nana in England. So, Chloe thanks you Nana for the outfits. It kept her entertained for hours dressing her dolls.

When it started to get really hot we escaped the city and headed to the movies to see Ku*ng F*u Pa*nda. We had promised Chloe that we would all go to see it. I have to say, I loved it. One of the best movies I have seen all year. Can't wait for it on DVD. Oh, Chloe enjoyed it too.

Matt had autocross the weekend. He is vying for one of the 10 spots in the Por*sche Club race for "best driver of the year" honors. Chloe and I brought him lunch but as there was no shade around we didn't stay for long in the heat of the day. Once Matt returned home from racing we aired up an inflatable slide/pool for Chloe to enjoy in the backyard. She had fun sliding and splashing and I took tons of photos of her having fun.








Our garden is coming along nicely. We are growing a bumper crop of cherry tomatoes and Roma tomatoes. In a short time I should also have more eggplants than I know what to do with. Below are the most up to date garden photos. I post them so PaPaw can tell me what needs to be done.
The garden.

The onions, which I haven't pulled up yet because it is so stinkin' hot outside.
The cherry tomatoes. They are still green so it may be hard to see them.

The roma tomatoes. Still waiting for these to ripen too!

The eggplants.

The bell peppers, which we are still waiting on.

No comments