The First Step is Admitting You Have a Problem

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

My blogging has been sporadic. I have photos and stories to share, I just have other things taking priority. I might have overextended myself and now I am paying the price.
I am in a constant state of "catch up" one that I don't really enjoy. Add all this up and one of my secret or not so secret issues (depends on who you ask) is threatening to take over my basement.
Yes, I am admitting that I have a problem...laundry. Right now it is piled high, about a month's worth, all clean and washed, waiting to be folded and taken upstairs back to the closets and drawers it was removed from.

Oh, I wish my pile were as small as in the photo. I was too ashamed to photograph our pile. Right now it is piled in three washbaskets, spilling over into the playroom. It sits, calling me to come and fold clothes, sort it and put it away. UGH!

See I hate folding and putting away laundry. I don't mind washing it, that's easy, the machine does all the work. I've always had an issue with laundry. In college, I would let my laundry pile get so large that my roommate would wash and fold my clothes for me because she couldn't take it anymore. I always had clean underwear (in case your wondering) I would always buy more. When I graduated college, I had over 150 pair.
I tried to get on a routine doing a load of laundry every morning and folding it and putting it away, and I stuck to it for a while. It was manageable. But, alas with the lazy days of summer I fell off the wagon and I am having a really hard time climbing back on. My laundry room is in my basement, down very narrow, steep stairs. I hate carrying the laundry pile up and down those stairs.
Now, all the other activities are beckoning for my time and I would much rather do those. So tonight, as I sit and watch the debates, I will have a laundry folding party for one. I will restore my husband's sock drawer so that he does not have to sift through the clean laundry for matching dress socks.
Yes, order and calm will be restored to my basement. All by Thursday, I promise.

3 comments

Anonymous said...

Can I just tell you that you are NOT alone. Absolutely NOT alone. Our room is piled high with clean/dirty clothes and our basement has 2 baskets of dirty clothes that still need washing.

I walk into our room in disgust. Seriously, it is gross.

Ugh, I feel your pain. At least your laundry is all clean!

Anonymous said...

Will Shannon's room mate from college (or like minded individual) please come forth.

Loving but desperate husband can offer full board, allowance and will reinstate significant panty budget for Shannon - all in retrun for stabilising the "laundry situation".

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobe - your our only hope!

Anonymous said...

Yes,I agree, you do have a problem. I don't own enough clothes to go a month without folding.