All I Want for Christmas is...

Wednesday, November 03, 2010
my two front teeth!!

A confession:
Chloe lost her top left tooth last night. It came as a surprise to everyone. It was loose but she kept declaring that it wasn't ready to come out. Matt checked it this past weekend and said maybe next week it would be ready. I guess all the sticky candy Chloe consumed after Halloween loosened the tooth. Before bed last night, Chloe was partaking of some candy and her tooth started to bleed and was barely hanging on in her mouth. She wouldn't let me touch it but held a paper towel to her tooth until her Daddy got home. Matt pulled the tooth.

Chloe is thrilled beyond belief because she's the only student in her class to get on the tooth chart twice (meaning she is the only one in class who has lost two teeth this school year).

Unfortunately (and here's where the confession comes), we weren't prepared for the tooth loss. We're preparing to go out of town and I was making packing lists and watching the election results last night. I went to bed without playing the role of the tooth fairy!! It never even occurred to me until this morning when Chloe came into our room and told me that the tooth fairy didn't come last night.

I felt like a heel. I still do.

I played it off and told Chloe that I am sure the tooth fairy will come tonight (you better believe she will). I asked her if she woke in the night to check her tooth fairy pillow (knowing full well she did). Chloe told me she woke up 3 times in the night to check. My explanation to Chloe was that she probably woke when the tooth fairy was in her room and so the tooth fairy left and she will come back when Chloe is not awake. Though I forgot to play the tooth fairy last night, and that's unforgiveable, I'm killing two birds with one stone with this "story". See, Chloe has been waking several times in the night and waking us up to declare that her ankle hurts, her room is 10 degrees warmer than ours and she's sweating buckets, our bed is more comfortable than hers or that she saw a spider (on her ceiling in the dark at 3:30 a.m. mind you). Its all a ploy to get in our bed. It would be cute, but not every night in a row at midnight, 1:30 a.m., 3:30 a.m. and again at 4:45 a.m. So, I'm going to turn my error into a win-win for everyone and maybe we will ALL get some shut-eye as we sleep through the tooth fairies arrival (at least for one night anyway). 

3 comments

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Chloe! I hope the tooth fairy makes her arrival on time tonight!

BeBe

MommaT said...

Our kids tell us the tooth fairly owes them more since she forgot...I think they have it figured out...we always forgot:) BTW She looks adorable without her front teeth!

Katie said...

Love this story! And....love her spider on the ceiling comment....she and Hailey could come up with some good stuff together! I sure hope she slept so the tooth fairy could come!