What did she say?

Friday, April 21, 2006
We are slowly, but surely settling in to the new house. I have to go to the village hall because we have been skipped twice now for trash collection. The clutter is starting to build up. You pay your sanitation separately here and apparently they work better on tips. Hmmm, maybe I should stake a $20 bill to the pile of rubbish accumulating and see if that works.

I am at the point of frustration now in unpacking. Things have to go up and downstairs (we have a 4-story house with the walk-up attic) and Chloe doesn't do so well on the wood stairs. She also insists on helping, which usually means she just makes a bigger mess or puts what you just took out of the box back in the box. She means well.

I still haven't put up my clothes as our master bedroom closet is the size of our last linen closet. Matt is going to have to build a closet out of the 4th-story attic.

I unpacked all of Chloe's room items today and she got really excited to see all of her things again. They are spread out all over her room. I want to paint before I start hanging things.

Matt is coming home early today and we are going to go and do some damage at Home Depot.

Before I sign off, I must tell the story which relates to the title of this blog. Yesterday, Chloe and I ran a few errands in Suffern, NY. We got delayed thanks to the check-out lady who refused to pick up and scan my items herself but made me individually hand them to her (what a nutter). But that is another story. Anyway, we drove through a McDonald's because Chloe was hungry. I ordered a cheeseburger happy meal and the girl working the drive-thru repeated back, "One filet-o-fish". I said, "No, I don't want a filet-o-fish, I want a cheeseburger happy meal". And she then repeated back, "a filet-o-fish and a cheeseburger". I said "NO! I don't want a fish sandwich, I just want a cheeseburger happy meal" and to that she replied, "a filet-o-fish and a medium fry". This is the point that I began to search for the hidden camera, not seeing it, I began to freak. She told me to just drive to the first window. I was then greeted by the girl and a young man who asked me what I ordered. I again stated "a cheeseburger happy meal". The young man responded, "oh, she wants a happy meal....what kind?" Ugggh! I repeated "cheeseburger" and he told me the amount to pay. Just as I was about to drive off I told the young man, "You know, I may be from Texas, but English is my first language." His response, "is that where that accent is from?"

2 comments

Erin said...

OK, that is hilarious! Those New Yorkers have no room to talk about accents. And I don't care where you are from - "cheeseburger happy meal" never sounds like "filet of fish." Erin

Ladybugs' Mom said...

Oh my! It's as if you are in a foreign land! What a great story! LOL!