Mr. Golden Sun!

Wednesday, May 24, 2006
I was delighted to have woken up this morning to find sunshine streaming in through the windows. I actually thought we left the front door open as so much light was coming through into the foyer. Could it be possible that spring has sprung here in Jersey? Might we actually be able to turn off the heater in our house and break out the shorts? After all, Memorial Day weekend is coming and June is around the corner!

Yesterday at the Little Gym, I was introduced to the world of nursery school. As a first-time mom all of this is so new to me and I constantly question when I should be putting Chloe in different activities. Apparently nursery school is highly sought and researched among the mothers in the area. I got the low-down all the nursery schools which were all play ("and you don't want that") and steered to the nursery schools that were more academic ("especially since you have a bright child"). Chloe's not even two! I didn't know we were supposed to have her pre-school days mapped out! Apparently we have fallen behind, I was seeing Chloe's future crumble and us having to shell out money to send her to after school tutoring because I failed her in nursery school. Then I came to my senses. She's two. If I wait until she is 3, what is she going to miss out on? Granted, there is a social aspect to nursery school which helps children learn to share and get-along. But, doesn't she get that from her swimming, Little Gym, storytime and music classes? The drama can just suck you in! After giving it some thought (some non-emotional thought), I will revisit the thought in October and stick with my original 2 choices for nursery schools in the area, one which was recommended by our realtor and the other which is a co-operative school and employs the parents as helpers and facilitators (hey, I am a certified teacher). Neither of these two nursery schools made it on the top of the list at yesterday's discussion and they were deemed as "too playful", but hey she's a toddler.

1 comment

Grant's Mom said...

I agree with you!! There are too many people into the "academics" of your child. The best learning they can receive at this age is the lesson of love and interaction (as I type away at the computer and Grant is piling cars behind me in the chair). Better go teach my child, no I think I'll play some cars with him!!