Finishing Touches

Monday, June 12, 2006


Before we left on our trip to Dallas, we attended the Northern NJ group of FCC-NY's Dragon Boat races. It was lots of fun to see the little girls dress in homemade dragon boats and have a land race. We also got to meet some fellow adopters from our town. Chloe enjoyed the day and was very tired. She passed out in the car on the ride home with her milk cup in her mouth. Poor buggy!

Our trip to Dallas was a success! Matt returned to Jersey for work on Wednesday and my three day stay in Dallas stretched out to 5 as I stayed on to fly back with our dog, Lizzie. The entire family is now together! Of course, our 2 cats, 2 fish and a lot of other junk are still at my parents house, but that's why we are calling it a success!!! Ha! Ha!

It was nice to see my parents and Chloe immediately got back into the groove with Papaw and Bebe. She remembered the horses out back and she also remembered how to boss the cats. She loves to spend time outside with Papaw and play in his car. Her love of the outdoors garnered her 4 mosquito bites. What would be normally be just 4 itchy bites on anyone else turned into an allergic reaction on Chloe. Her bites swelled and looked terrible. After some applications of hydrocortisone and some Benadryl all is looking better.

The weather in Dallas was a delightful 101 degrees. Ah, warmth! My internal temperature gauge was needing June in Dallas. Of course, I return to 60 degrees in Jersey on Saturday but that's ok, everything is green here and not brown from a drought! It may not be a delight to my internal temperature gauge but my flowers and green, green grass is a delight to my eyes!

Other than basking in the heat and enjoying a swim in a pool that would only get to that temperature in Jersey if it was heated, we did manage to accomplish the important tasks that really brought us to DFW. Matt and I were fingerprinted by Citizenship & Immigration on Tuesday for adoption #2. However, they forgot to put my parent's on the fingerprint notice and they will have to wait to go get their fingerprints done. We won't get our last piece of our dossier until they get fingerprinted. We squeezed in a few doctor's visits and we sold my car (sob!). We only need one car right now and my little red BMW didn't make the cut. So, I say a fond farewell. And, to those who know what a car fetish we have...can you believe we only have ONE car? And, even though Matt drags Chloe and I to car dealerships, we will not be purchasing another car.

I also was able to catch up with my close friend, Stacie and her one-year old daughter, Cameron. I am so glad that I could introduce her and get her hooked to shopping at Gymboree. You just have to buy something when it is buy 2, get 1 free and it's GymBucks time!! Of course, she will have to return to Gymboree at the end of July to redeem her GymBucks!

Now that we are back home, we are planning on the celebration of Chloe's 2nd birthday this Wednesday. She has no clue it is her birthday and she appeared completely clueless today as I shopped for her gifts, determining what she liked as she squealed up and down the toy aisle. Of course, we will have the gifts on Wednesday, but we will save the real celebrating until Bebe arrives this weekend. (I don't think Chloe will know the difference.)

I just can't wait to hear what my mother thinks of the northeast. This will be her first time in NYC and I hope she enjoys her stay in the Garden State.

Speaking of visitors, we are getting excited that my college pal Melanie will be coming in July with her son, Grant, and her cousin. I am also thrilled at the prospect that my other college pal, Christi, may also come out at the same time with her daughter. Matt will have to clear the house with all of us under one roof. Melanie and Christi are my best friends from college and both were bridesmaids at Matt & my wedding. They both reside in California now (how bizarre...one in the San Francisco area and one in the L.A. area) and they are both amused that I am a Yankee now! I guess they have to come and see how I am surviving north of the Mason-Dixon line.

I will combine Chloe's two birthday celebrations into one post, so look for it later in the week.





3 comments

Grant's Mom said...

Chloe is a doll!! She looks like a little girl in the swimming picture. She must have had a haircut, it always makes Grant look older, too. Can't wait to see you and happy birthday, Chloe!!

Grant's Mom said...

Oh, can't wait to hear your mom's response to NYC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kelley said...

Hey Shannon! It sounds like y'all are getting settled up north and doing well. We miss seeing you two at playgroup and now we're spending our Tuesdays at all the different pools and splash parks in the area. Have a fun summer in Jerwwsey (I don't even know how to spell it the way that it's said up there, but I know you know what I mean!) and Happy 2nd Birthday to Chloe!