Plumb Tired

Friday, April 27, 2007

I am worn out with our plumbing issues in our house. Back in February
we received a hefty bill to re-plumb our kitchen to prevent it from backing up. Well, while I was making dinner last night guess what our kitchen sink did again? It overflowed because it wasn't draining AGAIN!!

I immediately called our plumbers who came out early this morning. First thing they told me is that their work is covered for 30 days, since the work was completed in over 30 days ago, they would bill me again. I am usually an extremely passive person, but something inside me could not remain passive anymore. I flipped! I realize we have 80 year old pipes and you get problems more regularly. But, did I pay them a lot of money to tear out a wall and re-plumb my kitchen to avoid this very problem? After tinkering in the kitchen sink for an hour, I was told they were going to put in a call to the experts. EXPERTS--what are you? (I flipped again). After another hour, the expert showed up--Mr. Rooter. (Mr. Rooter is the expert?) I could feel a blood vessel in my head bulging and ready to snap.


Mr. Rooter, rooted around in the sink and after a few expletives told me this wasn't going to be easy. After an expletive back, "NO SH*@!", he set out to tell me that the blockage is somewhere deep in the pipe, somewhere in the basement. And, when our basement was finished, they covered the clean out drain and he has no idea where it is. Clean out drain!? I have an idea. Our plumbers (the non-experts) sheet-rocked over it when they "fixed" this problem the first time. So, out goes the wall, again. The expert keeps going up and down the basement stairs telling me "this is really a mystery! It would probably be easier if your basement weren't finished". Not the reassuring words I expect from "the expert".

If we weren't having to pay out the nose for all this work, I would just laugh at the absurdity of it all.

Well, the expert can laugh all the way to the bank as I just cut another check for an obscenely ridiculous amount. We are only missing half a wall in our basement now and it is still a mystery where our kitchen sink drains. The expert tried to reassure me with, "well, at least we know it drains to the main line. Don't worry too much, everything in your town is old. Everybody has problems like this." Somehow, that statement didn't help. I don't feel better knowing that all my neighbors have to add "plumbing" into their monthly expenses like we now do. All that statement told me is that plumbers make a killing in this area.

No comments