Hitting the Slopes

Sunday, December 14, 2008

We got season passes to a local ski area last year and this past Sunday was opening day. Chloe has been eagerly anticipating hitting the slopes. I don't think a day has passed since we rented her ski kit that she hasn't strapped on her ski boots and skis. I wondered if she was itching to ski or just itching to show off her coveted brightly striped skis she has desired since last year.

After church we rushed to the ski center. Chloe was excited. I laughed as she exited the chair lift with Matt and let out a "whoooo-hoooo!". Matt is very patient instructor and she is an eager if not reticent pupil. Matt says it is all about confidence with Chloe and the more she skis, the more confidence she builds.

She made one run and had a meltdown saying she was hungry. We convinced her to make one more run with Matt while I got the snack bag from the car. I made a mental note that we need to seek out a ski pack to carry food and drink in for Chloe. When we go to ski in Colorado it won't be so easy to run to the car (or the lockers) for the snacks. After her second run, we took a break and had some snacks while Matt did a run by himself. The three of us went up for a third run. I went ahead of Matt and Chloe on the chair lift---Chloe could see me so she yelled at me the entire time to turn around and/or wave at her.

During the third run, Matt took Chloe out of the harness and she held on to his ski pole. She got a little too close, had a spill and got a bloody nose from the ski pole. Chloe was upset but never realized her nose was bleeding. Matt snatched my hat off my head and wiped her nose with it--she never realized it was bloody. She was upset with herself that she got so close to the ski pole and after we made it down the mountain she was ready to go again.

We had to call it a day as daylight was fading. We've decided to only ski in the morning as Chloe is at her best first thing and not in the afternoon. Chloe is still anticipating skiing in Colorado. I laughed because Chloe told me that the mountains at the ski center were too high and she thought Colorado would be better. Oh no!

1 comment

Anonymous said...

Chloe, wax up those skis because the "hills" in Colorado will be better! - Aunt Deanna