Valentine's Party

Thursday, February 12, 2009
When you have children, Valentine's Day takes on a whole new meaning. I now have a love/hate relationship with Valentine's Day.

WHAT I LIKE:

  1. The cute "heart" t-shirts for Chloe and that she gets excited to wear something special to celebrate

  2. Making Valentine's cards for her friends. I have always given "original" Valentine's. We don't necessarily make them, I buy original hand-crafted cards from crafters at a craft fair or on Et*sy. I don't care for the canned cards (fine if she gets them). I have never endorsed paying for something that helps someone else brainwash my child to like advertise for some cartoon, theme-park, movie, character, etc. As a general rule, I don't do it.


  3. Chloe gets to sign all her Valentine's this year. She signed them: "Love Chloe" on all of them. Of course, she did 18 cards and after she signed card #7 she told me she didn't have to do the other cards because the 7 people that got the signed cards could tell the others who their unsigned card was from. I didn't buy into her thinking. It took two days to sign all 18 cards, but she did it.


  4. The special, handmade gifts Chloe makes at pre-school for Mommy & Daddy.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE ABOUT VALENTINE'S:

  1. The candy--or at least the massive amounts of candy she gets. We didn't do candy this year because of it. We gave handmade, felt heart pins.



  2. The candy & chocolate---after her pre-school Valentine's party we came home and Chloe ripped into her loot. She didn't care to read the cards (though I made her), she wanted the candy and chocolate. And there was lots. She didn't want to eat lunch, she wanted the ring pop, then the marshmallow heart, then another lollipop, then when I was cleaning the kitchen counters, she ripped into the Valentine's Fun Dip candy without my knowledge. Her mouth is now blue. Oy! Thank goodness last weeks pre-school lesson was on dental hygiene.


1 comment

Anonymous said...

I'm with Chloe,screw the cards and go straight for the loot!