Weekend ReCap

Sunday, March 29, 2009
We had a Easter party on Saturday. Unfortunately, the lens on my Ni*kon broke and I didn't get any photos. Also, Chloe danced, grabbed some Easter eggs and then ran away from the party to play on the nearby playground, which was not part of the party. This is the only decent photo from the event.



In other news, we have officially commited to add another member to our family. No, not another child, we are still waiting for our 2nd China adoption and finishing up our dossier for our Ethiopian adoption, but in July we will add a new dog to the family. This isn't something we have taken lightly. After we lost our Clumber Spaniel, Shiner, I didn't think I would ever recover and be able to have another dog with Lizzie. I mean, I still cry over losing Shiner. But, lately, we have begun to feel like we are ready for a second dog. We've tossed the idea around for a few months, made a short list of breeds and went to a dog show that was a Westminster preliminary to see breeds in person. When we made the decision to get another dog, I decided that I would do the leg work, find some breeders, interview them and make the decision as a surprise for Matt's birthday. We had met a few breeders at the dog show, but I had already spoken several times to a breeder and had made my mind up that her breed, Gordon Setter, was the dog I wanted. I needed to convince Matt. I made sure we went to the dog show at the very time the Gordon Setters were being shown. It wasn't too hard for him to figure out which breed I wanted and he agreed. The breeder I had been speaking to was at the dog show too. Her female Gordon won that day, making her the #1 female Gordon in the U.S. and secured herself an invite to Cruft's (the big U.K. dog show). She won't be going to Cruft's though, she's pregnant with our puppy.

Today we went to our breeder's home and played with our dog's mother, brother and sister. Mommy Gordon Setter is only about 3 weeks along and is due on May 10. We have chosen to get a male and we will call him Flash (as in Flash Gordon). The dogs are absolutely beautiful with such an expressive face. We are really excited. Chloe can't wait to pick out a squeaky toy for the new puppy. In the meantime, here are a few photos of what our puppy will look like and what an adult Gordon looks like.



2 comments

Grant's Mom said...

OMG, that puppy is too cute! Congrats on the newest member of your family.

Katie said...

What a great dog choice! Such a cute puppy picture! We lost one of our goldens in September and our other is so lonely now, but I'm still wondering if I'll ever get over losing the first one...you'll have to keep us updated on how it goes!