Three Years in New Jersey

Tuesday, April 14, 2009
It was three years ago today that we officially moved from Texas to New Jersey. We've put down roots now (and fought some off--see previous post) and this is home.

Matt asked me this weekend to name another city I would like to live in besides the NYC metropolis. My initial reaction was to say Dallas, but I thought that would upset him if I said that since he is still convinced I would move back in a hot second. So, I said Austin. Matt’s answer? Dallas!

In all honesty though, other than really enjoying the low-cost of housing and having my parents and Matt’s brother nearby, Dallas offers little to us now. I thought for a few minutes about moving back to Dallas and my first thought was----what would we do for entertainment in the land of chain restaurants and strip shopping malls? (Sorry to all my Dallas pals, but really). New Jersey is home now. We don’t live in NYC proper but we get to benefit from all that living in NYC suburbia offers. In my opinion we live in the most diverse, cultural epi-center in the U.S. It’s entertaining and there is so much on offer. You certainly don’t get bored here!

In honor of three years, I’ve made a list of my favorite things about where we live now:

1. I can go to the highest point in our town and see NYC. Some have a view of it from their yards—I can pop into NYC if I want to and just because.
2. Lots of public transportation. I can take a bus, taxi or train into the City w/o having to move my car from the driveway of our house.
3. I can walk from our house into our town to shop for groceries or at The G*ap.
4. Sometimes I hate it but, we actually have four seasons here!
5. Lots of social and philanthropic groups to get involved with.
6. Lots of historic sites and U.S. history nearby.
7. If I drive west, north or east I will make it to a one of three different states in an hour or less (Try that in Texas).
8. You can actually be outdoors in the middle of the day in summer w/o getting heat stroke.
9. We can snow ski in winter.
10. On the weekends we can pick the shore or the mountains (its usually the mountains).


No comments