A New Ally in My War on the Grocery Store

Wednesday, April 22, 2009
I've written and complained extensively on the terrible grocery stores we have in our area. If I wrote my true thoughts and feelings, then this post would be R-Rated. I truly believe I am on blood pressure medicine NOT because it is hereditary but because I have to enter one of the horrible grocery store chains in my area at least once a week. Yes, they are so bad that they are detrimental to my health.

I have been waging war against them for three years, spreading the word to anyone who would listen that you don't have to be a megastore to be a good supermarket. All it takes is to keep the aisles stocked and maintain some fraction of customer service.

So, it was with joy and befuddlement that I came across and article in my local paper today. The columnist was bemoaning that Consum*er Report*s will publish their supermarket rankings this upcoming months and they found our area one-stop shop chain supermarkets to be some of the worst in the nation. "How could this be?" he wondered. He also pondered as to why they would rank three area stores, Tra*der Jo*es, Who*le Foo*ds and Fa*irway (all at the top of the list)above the more typical area supermarkets (which were at the very bottom of the list). Is there something he didn't know he asked? Yes, yes there is and I am the one to tell you what you are missing.

So, continuing my crusade, I penned a letter to the journalist in an effort to enlighten him and the myriad of county readers who read his weekly column. I basically stated that the three, specialty stores had something the one-stop supermarkets did not---you guessed it, customer service. These stores keep things in stock and actually bag the $400 in groceries you purchased. They don't give you the stink eye as you throw food into bags because the clerk doesn't bag and she is beginning to check out the next person in line, mixing their grocery items with yours. But, I am not going to get started, the blood pressure is rising.

Hopefully my letter will make it into next week's column.

3 comments

JoAnn in NJ said...

don't you have a Wegman's in Bergen county? That's my personal favorite. i consider Trader Joe's more of a food boutique than a supermarket.

also my very local Stop n Shop has great customer service and they bag your groceries.

I hope they post your letter, let us know!

Shannon said...

No, we don't have Wegman's, but I wish we did. My neighbor moved from south Jersey and talks about how fabulous they are and how I need to go to one. The only place that bags here is TJ's and Fairway. Our Stop 'n Shop doesn't bag (and they don't really clean either).

JoAnn in NJ said...

The closest one would either be in Woodbridge or in Bridgewater (that's 20 minutes from me and on the same road as Flemington OUtlet Center.) We love it because they also have great ready made food to buy and eat on their 2nd floor overlooking the store! Kelsey goes nuts for the overhead train that starts in dairy and goes through the incredible candy center!

BTW, congrats on the progress of your Ethiopian adoption! :)