Back in the Saddle Again

Sunday, July 19, 2009

As a family we cycled in the JBFCS Hudson Valley Ride on Sunday. Matt rode the 62 mile route and feeling a sudden burst of enthusiasm, I decided to take on the 25 mile route instead of the originally planned 10 mile route.

The event benefitted the JBFCS and its charities. We rode for the Kaplan House team and our team raised the 2nd most money overall. Thanks to all our friends and family who donated. I do want it noted that Matt raised the most money, deservedly so, Chloe raised the 2nd and I came in a distant 3rd in our family. But, just for the record, I want it noted that Chloe was hitching a ride on my bike--she and I should have our total donations combined. (Just my thoughts on the matter.)


In all honesty, it has been forever and a day since we have cycled. In truth, I have never really cycled long distances save the one time I rode 8 miles through Yosemite with my sister back in the last decade. Matt cycles, though it has been a while, and he really enjoys it. He took on the 62 miles and rode it all despite some difficulties following the poorly marked course that added over an hour to those on the 62 mile route.


Chloe and I set out on the 25 mile route on a whim. Truly, had I known, I would not have done it. Chloe was in the bike seat on the back of my bike with her 5 lbs. of snacks in tow. When we hit the first hill I realized that this was not going to be easy and that I would probably wish I hadn't made the decision to do the 25 miler.


In the end, we all rode our distances and made it back to the finish line. Matt and I were worn out and Chloe was raring to go after her snacking and napping on our 3.5 hour journey. Matt was worn out, but was a wonderful father to submit to Chloe's begging and take her on a bike ride on her bike when we got home and cleaned up.


We went out for dinner and then took Chloe for her weekly Ben & Jer*ry's fix and then promptly went to bed.

No comments