Snow, Snow & More Snow

Tuesday, January 18, 2011
Since the day after Christmas, it has snowed once a week in our area. We've had an early school dismissal, one school day canceled and a two hour late start in the last three weeks.

Every time the snow falls, Chloe gets excited to go skiing or sledding. She never seems to get tired of the snow. She enjoys shoveling the sidewalk! She asked the other day if she could have a playdate with some friends so they could shovel the snow off her trampoline. Would her friends really think that's fun?

Chloe building a snow cave in front of the house with Aunt Deanna after the Christmas blizzard.

Chloe playing in snowfall #3 (the one that canceled school for the day).

For the MLK holiday weekend, we went north to Lake Placid and went skiing at Whitefa*ce. Chloe was in ski school for two days and Oliver was in the nursery school. We always thought White*face had great children's programs, and they do. Matt and I enjoyed some time without children. Most of it was Matt instructing me in being a better skier. Unfortunately, he can't instruct me into getting into better shape and skiing always reminds me just how unfit I really am!

Chloe in ski school at Whi*teface.

Our trip started out with some bumps. We left a ski bag and my packed bag at the top of our landing. We didn't realilze until we checked into our hotel room. Oliver and I had no change of clothes and I had no ski gear, except my skis. We had the choice to make the 4.5 hour drive home or the one hour drive to the nearest discount clothing retailer. We chose the one hour drive. With the purchase of a few essentials, some pajamas and a change of clothes for Oliver and I we were ready to get the weekend under way. I was able to wear a pair of Matt's ski bibs and rent boots and a helmet at the mountain. I think we failed in the organization/communication area of this trip, but its a lesson learned to communicate the number of bags going on the trip!


 It's cold in Lake Placid, really cold (And, yes, that's a negative in front of that number 17).

Chloe making the final run of our weekend with her Dad.

In the end, we had a nice weekend away as a family despite our poor start. Chloe definitely has the skiing bug again and I know Matt will be back out on the slopes with her in the next few weeks. In the meantime, I am preparing for our next big excursion as family, one that will not be as cold...Hawaii!!

No comments