Mom/Son Night Out

Sunday, March 01, 2015
Big sister Chloe is back to the racing season and she and Matt have been in Florida this past week. Oliver gets upset when Chloe is gone so I set up a special afternoon for him to get some one on one attention. He got to pick the agenda. 

First up, the SpongeBob movie. He also conned me into an Icee and popcorn. I spent most of the 90 minutes pondering why theatres show 30 minutes of previews and how badly Antonio Banderas needed a paycheck to star in the SpongeBob movie. 

I had thought we would go eat after the movie, but Oliver wasn't hungry and the mall was PACKED (Saturday at a mega-mall just outside NYC means LOTS of people). Oliver saw that there was an ice skating rink in the mall and he begged to go ice skating--he keeps telling me he wants to play hockey. I obliged, we stood in the massive line to buy admission tickets when Oliver discovered there were arcade games at the ice rink. He opted for video games instead of skates. 

We walked back through the mall, stopping at a candy store and then Build-a-Bear where Oliver confided in me that he has a goal to get more stuffed animals than his sister Chloe. This is a goal that made me cringe. Chloe has TOO MANY stuffed animals. Nevertheless, I obliged Oliver and got him Raphael from the Ninja Turtles. I discovered shortly after that Raphael was just a ploy to get the sword accessories. Its always about the accessories at BaB.

I did get a kick out of what Oliver named Raphael. He told me when we went to the computer that he was going to stick with Raphael and then he asked me how to spell Formula1 driver, Lewis Hamilton's name. Perhaps he's getting the racing bug too?
Raphael, aka Lewis Hamilton

We left the mall, headed to the season opening of the local ice cream stand. There is two feet of snow and it was 13 degrees outside. We waited in line behind five other people for ice cream. Are we insane? It made for one happy, but cold little boy.



No comments