First Day of School!

Tuesday, September 12, 2006
Today Chloe and I went to our 1st day of school. We enrolled in a Mommy & Me class through the YWCA and hosted by a local church pre-school. It is two hours, one day a week and runs through the school year. The purpose is to help toddlers adapt to the pre-school/school environment while still in a comfort zone with their mom or dad present. There are 8 kids in Chloe's class, 5 boys and 3 girls. There are 2 teachers who run the class, as a parent, you just stand by and redirect your child if necessary.

This was the 1st week of the pre-school and we arrived early for our big day. The older children were being dropped off by their parents and there were many tears in the hallway and during our class. It made me worry about next year, when Chloe would enter pre-school as a three-year old on her own.

We decided to participate in the class so Chloe could socialize and she could feel safe in the pre-school environment when it came time for me to let her go it alone. I thought she would cling to me, but she ran straight in and began to play with the train. In the entire two hours, she only came to me 2 times. Once to help put on her smock to paint and the second to wipe her hands. She ran about playing quite happily, only occasionally looking for me to see if I was still there. I guess it put my fears to rest.

Chloe was the complete ham of the class. Both teachers knew her name after she had been in class for 1 minute and once all the other parents and children arrived they learned her name too.

Some highlights of Chloe's first day:
  • She was the only one to say her name during the introduction song.
  • She danced in the center of the circle during the song, "The Wheels on the Bus" and did all the movements. She also told her me and her teacher "I love you" during that line in the song.
  • She made a pal, Jack, whom she insisted on sitting next to. "I sit by Jack. Who's that? That's Jack!"
  • She managed to find the 3 play purses and open all of them searching for wallets. She was disappointed when she found only pretend food inside them. "No wallet!" and then discarded it.
  • She blew a kiss on the way out and gave her teacher a hug and a real kiss.

Obviously Chloe is a natural politician and knows who to butter up. She is definitely the most active child in the class. Of course, it was only the first day and when the other kids get more comfortable we will have to see who gives her a run for the money.

No comments