My Child, the Genius...

Wednesday, September 06, 2006
I don't want to brag BUT, Chloe is a genius. I have to first go into a long story to get to the how and why of her brilliance. So, be patient.

Yesterday it rained...all day. I think we got confused and moved to Seattle not New Jersey. Everyone keeps telling me it's not typical weather, but so far it seems pretty typical that it rains all the time. So, trapped in the house all day and beginning to loose my wits, I decided to take Chloe and myself up to the Barnes & Noble for some reading entertainment and to purchase some DVD's to keep us entertained because I failed to mention that our DIRECTV has been out for a week because of all the storms. And, DIRECTV can't come to repair it until September 11. That's over 2 weeks with NOTHING on tv...no news, no weatherman to let me know it's going to rain, no new fall shows that are premiering this week. I am distraught that I missed House and Nip/Tuck and becoming more p.o'd by the minute that it takes them 2 weeks to get to your house to repair a satellite. I pull into B&N in the rain to notice that Chloe had undressed herself. I was a little peeved that she had done so strapped into a car seat and in only a 5 minute drive too. Apparently being trapped in the house was getting on her nerves too. I was eager to get inside the store to purchase some reading materials for myself and Chloe and some DVD's and hopefully let her wear off some of her stored up energy in the Children's section. So, I hurriedly put on her pants and quickly throw on her shoes (her Crocs of course) when she begins yelling and kicking, "NO, Mommy, NO! Wrong foot silly!" I look down at her feet and sure enough I put her Crocs on the wrong feet. Clever girl.

After our B&N break, we return home with some books, magazines and DVD's (all for Chloe of course). I sit on the couch with Chloe, read a couple of books and decide to pop in a DVD she already had and enjoys, "Classical Baby". Up pops the HBO Films screen and Chloe runs to the TV and points and says, "H--B--circle". I couldn't believe it. She knew the letters on the screen!! (Ok, she thought the O in HBO was a circle but 2 out of 3 certainly ain't bad for a 27 month old). I haven't even been working with her on her alphabet. I sing the alphabet song with her and I have shown her the letters in her name, but that's all. She's brilliant.

Next, our stairs. She did enjoy counting the stairs (15 in all) but apparently that is so 2 months ago. Now, she likes to tell me the shapes (our stairs curve and are typical rectangles). As she walks up, she says, "Rectangle, rectangle, rectangle, rectangle, rectangle, triangle, triangle, triangle, diamond, triangle, diamond, triangle, rectangle, rectangle, rectangle." Most impressive.

Her latest feat of pure genius regards money. My child is obsessed with money. Of course, she only liked money before Aunt Deanna and BeBe visited. Anytime she would whine, they would hand over a handful of coins for Chloe because she likes to play with coins. She made a lot of money on their visit. After my family left, Chloe and I rounded up the $4 in change she acquired and put it in her piggy bank. I hoped that would be the end of the change fetish. But, last night as we dressed for bed, she had 56 cents in her pocket of her pants. "Where do you get the change?" I asked. "I find it," Chloe replied. "Where did you find it?" I inquired. "I find it bank," Chloe said. I quickly went into her room to see if she smashed her piggy pank open. But, it safely sat on the shelf, out of her reach. What bank I wondered? Then it hit me. We went into the bank that day to get a certified check for the Chinese Consulate. I only assume that she found the coins on the floor of the bank as we were waiting in line. So, into the piggy bank went her found 56 cents. So, today, we had some sunshine so I took Chloe to the park. As she was running in the playground, I heard something clincking noise. I checked Chloe's overalls and low and behold she had 51 cents in her front pocket. "Where did you get this money?" I asked. "Chloe's money," she replied, "I find it." Whatever. That makes $1.06 my child has found in the past day. I guess it pays to look on the ground and find discarded change. But, then later this afternoon, Chloe insisted on taking her purse outside. "Why?" I asked her. "My money," she said. So, I inspected the contents of her purse to find 3 quarters. As I looked at her quizzically, she told me, "I find it!" Holy cow! Where is all this money coming from? I've seen pennies laying around on the sidewalk, but not quarters. So, proof number 3 of Chloe's genius-she's good at hiding money, saving money and finding money. I guess I know where to go when I need some change for the toll.

She's a genius!

No comments