Back to School

Monday, September 08, 2008
Chloe outside her pre-school getting ready to enter for the first day of school.


Chloe concentrates as she pours her own juice during snack-time, a new expectation in the four-year-olds class.

Chloe creating a self-portrait.

Chloe began school today. We are beginning to get the slightest hint of fall in the air and it was a beautiful, crisp day to start school.

Chloe is very excited about this school year. She is now the oldest in the pre-school and she thinks that is dyno-mite! She is only going to class two days this week for an hour and a half. Next week begins the typical 4-day a week schedule. Since this was the first day and the school is a cooperative school, the mother's attend the class with their child. I walked Chloe into class this morning and wasn't in the room for two minutes when Chloe asked, "Mom, why are you still here"? Despite her protests, I stuck around as expected.

I couldn't be happier about her pre-school teacher this year. I think it is going to be an awesome year. Her teacher has taught 4-year olds for 18 years at Chloe's pre-school and you can just tell she understands 4-year olds and has a system that works. This was a BIG relief to see as I was not pleased with Chloe's pre-school teacher last year. One mother turned to me during today's class and said, "I feel [my child] has learned more in this class today than he did all of last year." Her teacher this year is very creative, hands-on and organized.

Chloe also began tap/ballet today at a new dance school. I switched Chloe to a dance school in our community from the school where she took last year in a nearby town. Her best pal is also in class with her so she is very excited about dance as well--mostly the end of year dance recital.

On the way to dance this afternoon, Chloe asked if I had to stay at dance too. I told her I would and her response was, "No mom, don't stay at dance. Go run errands by yourself." Gee, thanks. I am starting to get the feeling that she doesn't want me around. She then added, "Just make sure to pick me up." Like I can forget about her! My response was, "Chloe, Mommy has always picked you up on time. I have never forgotten about you---Mommy always comes back." Of course, I added the last line thinking she was worried that I would forget her. Chloe's response to that statement? "Mom, why do you always say that? I know you always come back. I just want you to leave and come back today. That's all." Yes, it was a heartwarming mother-daughter moment.

Oh, and by the way, against Chloe's wishes, I didn't leave dance...I sat on the couch outside the door to her room and emailed Matt from my Black*erry.





No comments