Sorority Reunion

Tuesday, August 04, 2009
Note: Right now as I am blogging this, Chloe is being forced into child labor (i.e. she is having to clean the family room of her toys and the remnants of Babybel cheese. She loves the cheese, but apparently doesn't love throwing the red, waxy outer wrapper away. I just found a stash of them, melted onto the top of her lapdesk she left by the window. It was gross.). She is all despondent and is acting like it is physically painful. I should get the video recorder. She keeps saying, "Mom, this makes me tired. Can just watch tv instead?" Oy!
Last Thursday, Chloe and I woke in the early hours of the morning to fly to NW Arkansas for my sorority reunion at the University of Arkansas (GO HOGS!). We stayed with one of my dear friends, Christi. Melanie, my other dear pal from college, stayed at Christi's also. Melanie, Christi and I were able to go out, have fun at our reunion and our children were in the care of Christi's husband, who I shall forever refer to as "The Saint". For two nights, he watched his & Christi's two kids (ages 8 and 6), Melanie's son Grant (age 5) and Chloe (age 5). Not only that, he took them to Chuck E. Cheese---both nights. That's above and beyond folks.
The reunion was to commemorate the 20 year founding of our sorority chapter at the U of A. There was a dinner Friday & Saturday evenings for members-only and a family event at the sorority house on Saturday. It was fantastic seeing my sorority sisters, some of whom I haven't seen since leaving college in 1995. We also took a side trip on Sunday to see the Vaughns, the parent's of our dear friend, Carrie, who died in a car accident in 1992 while we were roommates. We have all kept in contact with Carrie's parents over the past 16 years and they take a genuine interest in our lives and happiness. It was great to see them and to introduce them to Chloe.
Chloe and I returned to NJ on Monday with lots of Razorback memorbilia in tow. Chloe is refusing to take of the Razorback shirt and short set I bought her--she wore it as pjs the last two nights and kept it on all yesterday. I think I am going to have to pry it off her today.
Chloe riding Chaco with Mr. Vaughn assisting. Chloe was very nervous to ride such a big horse but Mr. Vaughn helped her calm down and "relax".
Chloe sports "the Oklahoma Rancher" look. I like the yellow jellies on her feet that complete the look.

Chloe gets some lessons from Mr. Vaughn on calf roping.

We stopped to eat at Son*ic with the kids. They were hungry and tired.

Susan, Christi, Melanie, me & Karen in front of our sorority house.

Madeline, Grant, Chloe and Tyler on the top bunk in the room I lived in my junior year. This is the same bunk I jumped out of early one morning to answer the phone and broke my foot. It was my sister, Deanna, calling and she hung up on me b/c she meant to call time and temp.

Chloe pointing to my photo as sorority president on the KD composite board. Susan is holding Chloe.

Christi out on Dickson St. in Fayetteville. We relived our college days on Friday night. We felt very old. The best moment out was when a college girl told us we were "the hottest moms" at the bar. Do a lot of moms go out with college kids?


Me, Allison, Tammy and Melanie at Jose's on Friday evening.

Cindy & I at Jose's.
The kids at a splash park on Friday afternoon.


1 comment

Anonymous said...

As long as I live, I don't think you are going to let me live down that I dialed the wrong number and you broke your foot....

-D