The Memorial Day Weekend

Tuesday, June 01, 2010
We decided to break out the camper for the first time this season on Memorial Day. Problem was we decided to do so a few weeks before Memorial Day. If you want to stay at a nice campsite on a holiday weekend you need to book well in advance, like February.

I called around for available campsites with no luck. I thought I was fortunate when one called me back to tell me they had a cancellation and we could camp there. The site had been recommended and got good reviews.

We packed and left on Friday afternoon. The campsite was in the northern Pocono Mountains. Not too far away. The campground itself wasn't too bad. I liked it. Matt did not. It just wasn't our cup of tea. It was in the middle of nowhere, about a 20 minute drive to the nearest town and there wasn't anything much to do there!!! Normally we would survive (I mean we are camping afterall, even if it is in an RV, usually all we need is a pool) but it was a three-day weekend and there was a Formula 1 race and the Indy 500 to watch on tv. Matt wasn't pleased.

We decided to make the best of the weekend and drive to the large lake about 45 minutes away. There was a visitor center at the lake and we could get brochures on what there was to do in the area. We got some guides on hiking trails and set to drive the lake to check it out.
Chloe sporting her lake look.

We made it about 1/3 of the way around the lake when Matt told me to pull into the marina. We got out, saw all the boats in dock and on the lake and Matt decided we should go into the boat showroom to check things out. Those that know us well shouldn't be that shocked at what transpired. Send Matt and I into any motorized vehicle showroom and you should know what will happen....

The boat.

We bought a boat! I mean we didn't buy it that exact moment, we did go to 2 other boat dealers on the lake. We actually have been talking about getting a boat. There are some great lakes in our area and our kids do enjoy the water. We DID wait a whole 24 hours before we returned to buy the boat!


Matt, Chloe and Oliver on a hike at Lake Wallenpaupack.

Chloe was excited when she saw the people on the lake skiing and tubing. Matt says the boat is a gift to the kids for their upcoming birthdays in June (wasn't it just a few weeks ago I joked about buying Chloe a Porsche for her 6th birthday?). I don't know if that one will fly, but that's our story and we're sticking to it. We pick the boat up on June 12, just a few days before Oliver and Chloe's birthdays.

So, it was the most expensive camping weekend ever and from now on I will search out campsites closer to the action and with tv. Well, I guess now we will be camping by lakes as well.

I know two little bodies that were kept busy on the weekend and got worn out.

No comments