The Valley of Vegetables

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

My sister bought this book for me a while back:

It's a fabulous book full of ideas for gardening with kids. Very creative stuff inside. Several months ago I ordered some plants and a raised garden kit. Matt and I set it up about a month ago and our local nursery delievered the soil for the garden. Chloe and I planted Walla Walla onions, garlic and some English peas (just for the fun of it) and we are getting ready to plant two kinds of tomatoes, bell peppers and eggplants. I will post more photos after we plant.


In the meantime, Chloe has been studying about how seeds become plants and our basement walls have been plastered with posters about how seeds become plants. I was so proud the other day when Chloe was playing in the basement, turned and looked at a poster, pointed and said, "Hey, that's what's happening in our garden!". Very clever indeed.

Even though it may be a little too advanced for her to "get", this is my favorite poster on our basement wall. I think it's cute and Chloe likes to look at the veggies and tell me which ones are "too spicy" for her (which is her way of saying "I don't like this vegetable").

1 comment

Anonymous said...

I can think of no better lesson for children than where food comes from and the satisfaction of growing something you can eat. Glad to hear that the book is being enjoyed. - Aunt Deanna