Time to Let Go

Thursday, May 29, 2008
It has been two years since I moved to NJ from Texas. As I was typing a phone chain list for an organization I serve on, I realized it was time to let go of something I have hesitated to part with...my cell phone number. Yes, after two years of living in NJ, my cell phone number was still a local Dallas number. For many of my friends and acquaintances it meant dialing a long-distance number to call me across town.

It had been my telephone number for 18 years. I didn't want to part with it. It was a last vestage of Texas. I kept telling myself that I didn't want a NJ number---psychologically that would mean I was here to stay and not just passing through.

Alas, today I psychologically put down the roots in NJ and changed my cell phone number to a local area code. I guess I am here to stay for the long haul. Besides, I still possess one thing Texana that can't be taken away...my accent!

2 comments

Anonymous said...

You know this means your Mother will have to learn a new phone number after all these years......

I have already programmed it in my cell phone.

FreeStyleMama - Diana said...

OMG~ That had to be hard to do! We moved from Illinois to Texas (how ironic) 9 years ago. When we moved back 2 years later...we got our same phone number back. So parting with a number after 18 years had to be hard!

I wanted to let you know that I am donating custom blog signatures to the Just One Child at a Time online auction this weekend. If you donate $5 to Starfish Home then you can get a custom blog signature added to new posts. See the details at justonechildatatime.blogspot.com

Thanks!

Diana