I So Need to Get it Together (or Notes on How I Ruined My Child's First Day of Kindergarten)

Wednesday, September 02, 2009

It's the big day---Chloe's 1st Day of Kindergarten and through the complete disorganization of her mother I ruined it (well, Matt keeps reassuring me that I only ruined it from my perspective, Chloe had a great day regardless of the actions of her mother).

We had Chloe's backpack packed and her 1st day outfit ready. We woke early and had a good breakfast. We were so excited!! Then the phone rings at 8:45 a.m. It's my neighbor and friend. I pick up, say "hello" and get, "Oh! You're home! I was going to leave you a message. Isn't Chloe supposed to be in school?" I respond, "No, she's in afternoon kindergarten." My friend says, "I know, but her enrichment class starts today doesn't it?" Silence. Does it? "Hmmm, I gotta go."

I rush downstairs look through the myriad of paperwork and there isn't anything there about the first day of enrichment. See, Chloe is in afternoon kindergarten. Kindergarten is half day in our town and we decided to put Chloe in an enrichment class three mornings a week at a private pre-school/school. I had never seen a start date. I had all the papers neatly in a folder, labeled with the school's name sitting on the office desk. Where was the start date? I searched and read all the papers. NOTHING. Then , I remember the letter we got back in June. Where was it? I destroy the office looking for it. Twenty minutes later I find it, behind the 80 ton desk, it had fallen between the desk and the wall and I pry it out using Chloe's drumsticks. There it was, plain as day---the first day of enrichment is the 2nd of September, drop off time is 8:45 a.m. I look at my watch, it's 9 a.m.

I throw some shoes on, get Chloe dressed and brush her hair. We grab her backpack and go. We arrive at 9:15 a.m. I profusely apologize and walk Chloe into class which is already in progress. UGH!

I tell myself, it's just enrichment, no big deal. I call Matt, he assures me that it won't hurt her chances of getting into Harvard. I go home, shower and clean myself up. I get the camera ready for kindergarten in the afternoon. I wonder if Chloe thinks her mom is mentally insane and will forget to pick her up on time.

I do manage to pick Chloe up on time, who is in great spirits, but tells me, "Don't make me late for kindergarten!" as we drive home. No chance of that dear, I say.

We go home, have lunch and Chloe manages to burst a cherry tomato all over her outfit. ALL OVER HER OUTFIT. I proceed to clean the tomato off of her. I look at my watch. Time to go. We make it to school and I see some of the parent's walking to the car. Panic strikes. Where are the kids? I grab Chloe's hand and rush in the kindergarten wing. I see 23 kindergartners sitting in desks coloring. What's going on here I wonder? Didn't it start at 12:45 p.m.? Chloe's kindergarten teacher walks up to me and says, "This must be Chloe! I just want to let you know that you may get a call from the school because I took attendance already and counted Chloe absent. I'll send a note to the office and let them know she was just late." "LATE!?" I yell, surprised. "I thought it started at 12:45 p.m. That's what it says on the website." "No, we started at 12:15 p.m. You must have seen that the rest of the school, grades 1-5, get out at 12:45 p.m." Could I be a bigger loser?

Seriously. I am an organized person. I get my kid to all activities early. I've got it together, EXCEPT today when I seriously lost my mind. Today I was the bat-s*%t crazy mother hell-bent on ruining my child's academic career.

It did all work out in the end. Chloe had a great time in school and is looking forward to tomorrow. We played on the playground after dismissal and she really enjoyed that. We went to Ben & Je&ry's after school as bribery not to disown me as her mother and to drown my sorrows in some Phish Food ice cream.

2 comments

Katie said...

Love the full version story! I will be doing this next year, there is no doubt in my mind.

Dori's Mommy (Diana) said...

Yes...it was just in your mind...the day turned out OK.