A Camping We Will Go--Maybe

Sunday, August 26, 2007
We have had our RV for a week now and we couldn't wait to take it out. The past week hasn't been the best--our plumbing backed-up and flooded the laundry room of our basement (again), our bathtub fawcet blew off and had to be replaced, Matt had a busy/stressful week at work and his laptop screen went out only to be fixed but broken further by the I*M tech, I had numerous doctor's appointments in preparation for my upcoming surgery, work began to replace our boiler and then, I thought Lizzie had run away or had been stolen.

Yes, the workmen who removed the asbestos locked our dog in with the boiler and when I couldn't find her I went into super, freak-out mode searching for our dog in our house and in our neighborhood. I searched every nook and cranny of our house and yard searching for the dog. I walked our neighborhoood, questioned neighbors who were outside and the construction workers building a home a few doors down. In a fit of hysteria, I called Matt who immediately took a car home from the city. During my frantic search, I became convinced that the workmen stole her (it actually happened to me as a child when a city workman stole our Labrador Retreiver). Lizzie never leaves our yard and I had just seen her minutes before the work men left. I convinced myself they took her so I ended my search through our neighborhood to come home and call the company. I went into the basement office to find the company's phone number and I heard the jingle jangle of Lizzie's dog tags. I ran to the boiler room and there she was cowered in the corner. The workers had shut her in. I had found her, but Matt had left work early and was nearly home by the time I found her. So, we decided to go camping--we thought.

We packed our bags and headed out the door to go camping. A couple of weeks ago we made weekend reservations at a RV resort in Lake George, NY. We were eager to try out our RV but when we arrived at the RV we discovered that the jack was broken and we couldn't hook up the RV to our car. So back to the house we went.

Saturday Matt got up early to go the RV dealer where we bought our RV for help. After discovering that they were unwilling and useless he came up with his own solution and was able to hook up the RV. We were finally on our way.

Just after arriving at the RV resort, the sky opened up and it began to pour and hail. I was beginning to think that we were getting a message that RVing wasn't for us. Luckily, it all ceased and we were able to set up camp (quite easily I might add) and settle in. We didn't get to see much of the sites as we spent the majority of our time checking out the RV. In the morning we took a walk around the site and then headed home.

In the end, we used our 1st experience in the RV as a "getting to know the RV" session. We got to learn and experience all the bells and whistles and we are better equipped for a longer excursion.

2 comments

Headmeister said...

Ugh - poor lizzie! My friend had Lowe's doing their kitchen renovation and they specifically told them "we have a cat, please don't leave anything open of the cat will climb in it". Well, they had peft a heating duct open, the cat crawled in there and was lost for 24 hours. When they finally found her, she was severely burned and was at the vet for 2 weeks. Lowe's paid all vet bills + extra, and the cat has thankfully made a full recovery.

And BTW - I cant' believe someone STOLE your dog when you were a kid. Gotta tell me about that one some day...

Grant's Mom said...

Glad you took your RV out. We had a "get to know our RV" weekend trip for our first one too. Those seem to be the best because it is so exciting!