How Do You Know & Why?

Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Chloe somehow skipped the "why?" stage when every other kid her age was in it but unfortunately we've entered it now in full force. She's also added, "how do you know?" in her repetoire too. She really prefers, "how do you know?" I am aware that this is developmental and kids need to do this to learn, but its really can be annoying as it is usually obvious how I/we know.

Case in point:
Matt came home last Tuesday and Chloe was wearing her gymnastics outfit.
Matt (to Chloe):"Did you go to gymnastics today?"
Chloe: "How did you know?"
Matt: "Because you are wearing your gymnastics outfit."
Chloe: "How do you know?"
Matt: "Because it is a leotard you wear at gymnastics."
Chloe: "Why?"
Shannon: "So your clothes don't get in the way when you are bouncing, twirling and flipping."
---Matt escapes upstairs to change out of his work clothes---
Chloe: "Why don't you want your clothes in the way?"
Shannon: "Because you could trip on a dress, you could not easily move in a big, bulky sweater."
Chloe: "How do you know?"
Shannon: "Because I've done a flip in a dress and tripped." (I took some liberty here as I have never done a flip unless I tripped)
Chloe: "Why were you wearing a dress?"
Shannon: "Because I was."
Chloe: "How do you know?"
Shannon: "Because I was the one wearing the dress and doing the flipping."
Chloe: "Why?"
Shannon (about to lose it): "Dinner's ready. Lets eat."
Chloe: "How do you know?"
Shannon: "Because the timer is beeping."
Chloe: "How do you know?"
Shannon: "Because I can hear it."
Chloe: "Why?"
Shannon: "Because I have ears."
Chloe: "Wouldn't it be funny if you had tomatoes for ears?"
Shannon: "No."
Chloe: "Why no?"
Shannon: "Lets eat."
Chloe: "Why?"
Shannon: "Because my stomach is growling and I'm hungry."
Chloe: "How do you know?"
Shannon: "Because I hear it and I feel hungry."
Chloe: "Why?"
Shannon (absolutely about to freakin' lose it): "Why ask why?"
Chloe: "How do you know?"
ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!

When I taught middle school, in a previous life, you would always have one kid in class who would try to really get under your skin with the "why?" questions. They weren't follow-up, they were just "why?" so my response was, "why ask why?" which 99% of the time they couldn't respond to because they really didn't care why or really had no idea what we were talking about anymore. This was my go to. My four year old just found the fallacy in the question. Watch out future teachers, she starts school this year.

2 comments

Anonymous said...

Hahaa chloe is so adorable! Such a bubbly little girl!

Katie said...

Still laughing out loud. LOVE IT!