School Work

Thursday, October 08, 2009
Chloe and I were completing tonight's homework this morning (we have a busy afternoon---playgroup and puppy training class after school). Every time I watch Chloe do her homework I am reminded that I have a degree in secondary education, not elementary.

Our biggest frustration as of late is differentiating between the number 2, the number 5 and the letter S. Its tricky. Chloe and I were working on this because it seems all of them look alike when she writes them. They all look like the letter S. She didn't see the difference at first but slowly she is starting to see they all are different. She's been writing them all the same way for weeks and getting stars and smiley faces on all her papers. None of them were corrected so she didn't see the problem with any of them. I guess the teacher missed it being that she has 22 kindergartners in the class. I also realized that so much attention is paid to writing letters and very little to numbers. I made a note on my parent-teacher connference form that I want to discuss it and stapled the smiley face and star papers without it being corrected to it---a bit too over the top? Probably, but I want to get my point across. Its my kids education were talking about. And, what's the purpose of homework if she never sends it back with feedback, only stars and smiley faces?

Part of today's homework is to draw a picture of something that starts with the letter T. Chloe insists she has to draw 3 pictures even after I reread the instructions that she only has to draw one picture. I am posting her pictures of things that start with the letter T because it is all so Daddy in that 2 of the 3 pictures have to do with motoring. The first picture she drew is of toes (I like the first two hairy toenails!), the second was of a car (her best ever she declared) and she got very detailed. The final picture was of a truck, complete with spelling all on her own.

You can see the paper in the background of our 2, 5, S practice sheet---I think she may have it down now!




No comments