Addicted

Monday, March 07, 2011
As I beamed at the box perched on my front door step the thought did occur to me, "Do I really need another calendar?". I brough my pink faux-croc desk calendar inside and unpacked it. I flipped through the pages. I am perpetually on a quest for a better calendar and I had hoped that THIS was THE ONE. You see, it was my third calendar of 2011. The first calendar of the year met an untimely demise after having a sippy cup leak on it, sticking the pages together. The second, the one the new arrival would replace, well it just wasn't cutting it.
But this one....

The new calendar
I know what you are thinking. Its the same thing my husband says, "A paper calendar? REALLY?". Yes, I keep a paper calendar in my purse, I also keep a dry erase calendar on the refrigerator, a paper desk pad calendar in the office, as well as the calendars on my iP*ad and iPh*one. But, the paper calendar in my purse is the master calendar, with flight itineraries, coupons, and other various documents tucked neatly into the pages at easy reach for the day and moment they are needed. Can you tuck your child's printed medical history & insurance information in your iPa*d calendar for their first trip to the dentist? No. So paper calendar it is.

I look around the house. A calendar here, a calendar there. How many calendars do I need? Apparently, a lot. Am I really that busy? No. But each calendar has its purpose and need.

Truth be told, I love calendars. I do. I love pens too, but that's another addiction. PerhapsI have an office supply addiction. My friend and neighbor once called me "anally organized". I am not, but I am a planner. I like to plan things out and know what's coming next (I've already started planning our winter 2012 vacation).

The refrigerator calendar. AKA "The family calendar".
My first full-time job was as a documentation writer for a software company. How many user documents did I end up writing---ZERO. My title was "Documentation Writer" but a few short months into my job my boss asked me to take over as planner for the company party and once-a-month company "fun" functions, maintain the company calendar and all posted materials in the breakroom. Yes, I became the company social director. It never fails, every group, every job I have ever held, I always get the side-job as organizer, social planner, etc.

Its just in me, some driving force telling me to plot every day, week and year, tuck "to-do" lists on important dates that take some extra planning, print reservations and tuck them in on the date, etc.


Replacing the old with the new and backing up the i*P*ad calendar.


The desk calendar--I use this to keep Chloe's school lunch menu plans.

So, is it any wonder that my daughter has made her own calendar and keeps a to-do list on her bedroom door (that she loves to check off each night)?

1 comment

Anonymous said...

It must be genetic... I keep a calendar on my macbook, my iPhone, a paper one in my office and I religiously use a Lotus Notes Calendar on my office computer. My desk is also covered in sticky note reminders!

- Aunt D