Ah, Spring & Playground Dramas Ensue

Monday, March 21, 2011
It's finally here, Spring. And how does it greet us? With rain and snow. It also seems that the temperatures are going to keep dropping during the week and we're in for more snow mid-week. Gee, I'm glad Spring is here!!

We did have lovely weather Thursday and Friday last week and I was pleased to see my tulips started poking through the ground (of course, they're dusted in snow now). It was warm enough to put the top down on the convertible, take a visit to the playground and visit the nursery for spring plantings. I was also planning on putting away my winter clothes and jackets but didn't get around to it as I was enjoying the outdoors. It appears I still need those heavier coats and clothes. Grrrrrr....

Heading to the playground both Thursday and Friday did convince us that a playset for the kids birthdays would be a wise investment.  Not only can prying a certain 21 month-old from the playground can be harrowing it seems that some parent's have lost their minds. It seems lately that I cannot take my kids to the playground without a altercation breaking out between parents. There is one playrground we prefer because it is fully enclosed and it has age-appropriate play equipment for Chloe's age as well as Oliver's age. But, it seems every time we visit this playground a war of words ignites. I wish I was exaggerating, but I am seriously not. EVERYTIME. It is always high drama. The first drama at the playground was when a mother yelled out, "Who is the crappy mother of this child?! Take control of your kid!" and then hurled a string of expletives on the mom when she stepped forward and inquired as to why she was such a crappy mother. It seems the irate mom thought the other mom's son was playing too rough around smaller children. He also climbed on top of the roof of the little kids play area and he should have been told to get down, but wasn't because his mom was too busy talking with some other mom friends. The war of words escalated, lawsuits were threatened and both mother's grabbed their children and left. Needless to say the playground was left silent as we all witnessed two mother's behaving badly.

And the most recent incident occured at our playgroup session. An eight-year old boy kept hanging around Chloe and the other 4 older kids in our playgroup. I would see him say something and see the kids in our group turn and walk away. He would walk up, say something and the kids would move again. I walked over because I didn't want Chloe to exclude this boy or be rude to him. I asked her why they kept walking away and she told me that he was a "bully" and that "he's saying mean things to us." So, I told her that she was doing the right thing to ignore him, not say anything to him and walk away and I went back to chasing Oliver. About 10 minutes later I turn to see a mother with her finger pointed in my friend's face telling her that she needed to bring her son back over to apologize. It seems that the boy who was insulting Chloe and her friends wouldn't stop and pushed his way in to the group to tell one of the little boy's in our group that he "was a wimp" and "played stupid games." Chloe's friend pushed the boy and told him to go away. It was my friend's son who did the pushing and she saw the incident. She called him over, got the story but told him he shouldn't push other kids and made him apologize to the boy. It seems the mother of the boy, the one who had her finger in my friend's face, thought the apology was insincere and he should do it again and mean it this time. She also didn't care if her son insulted our kids, he didn't need to apologize too, he didn't push anyone! She was also telling my friend that she handled the situation wrong and was an unfit mother. She also commented that other mother's at the playground we're unfit, pointing a few out (glad I didn't make it on the list!). Realizing this woman was a little off,  my friend didn't further the argument, called he  son back over and had him apologize again to the boy. To which the boy responded, "I don't believe you!"with a smile on his face. With that, the mother started getting mad again, thinking my friend's son was still insincere. We said nothing and became the mom's who grabbed our kids and made the quickest exit possible.

The playset we chose.

Fast-forward to Saturday...Matt and I loaded up the kids and  headed out to look at the numerous choices of playsets on the market so we can have our own playground fit for both kids in the not so insane privacy of our own yard. I had been looking online for about a week but the playground insanity the week before solidified the decision. There are many "showrooms" around the area as well as the big box stores that carrying playsets so we went to check them out in person.  After we recovered from sticker shock we looked at all the choices out there on the market we made a decision and placed an order. The kids should have their own playset in the backyard well in advance of their birthdays in June.  Lets just hope that it doesn't arrive so early that they forget what Mom & Dad got them for their birthday! In the meantime we will stick to the much smaller, not as much fun but more sane playground.

Here's hoping that Spring will arrive soon and restore sanity to the mom's who have been indoors too long.

No comments