The Bounty of Thy Harvest

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Chloe and I have a vegetable garden this year in the backyard. We are growing onions, garlic, 2 different kinds of tomatoes, eggplant, bell peppers and sugar snap peas. I wrote about it here.

The garden is now growing in nicely, the tomatoes, eggplant and bell peppers are flowering, the garlic is growing for the fall harvest and the onions are coming along nicely. But, the sugar snap peas are ready for picking and tonight, we gathered our peas, ate a few straight from the vine and cooked the rest for dinner.

We enjoyed our peas with some strawberries we picked at a local farm earlier in the week. Aunt Deanna, BeBe, Chloe and I picked 6 lbs. of strawberries in about 30 minutes and paid $12 in total. It's a pretty good deal considering its fun to search the plants for the ripe berries and even though they are smaller than the big berries in the store, they taste like a strawberry--not dry and bland like the store-bought ones. Chloe and I plan to return next week for another batch. I am going to freeze them and make reduced-sugar strawberry jam.



Chloe trying a sugar snap pea fresh from our garden.

1 comment

Anonymous said...

Happy picking. I came home to nice surprise...a handful of ripe strawberries in my own garden.