What a Crock

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

I love my crockpot. You see, I neglect to use it most of the time because it sits in the basement. Thanks to the return of the school year and an agreement Matt and I have, I rediscovered the crockpot and my adoration for it.

Just today I was talking with a friend who was telling me that her husband has been getting testy lately because her daughter has ballet class until 6:15 p.m. and she hasn't been cooking dinner because it cuts right into mealtime. I espoused my love for the crockpot by telling her if she had one, she could have dinner done and ready when she came back from ballet and all would be happy.

A few weeks ago, Matt and I agreed that we would "eat in" for a month straight. At the end of the month, we would pay ourselves $250 to use as we see fit, for a night out, etc. I took this as a challenge and out came the crockpot. I did this because I knew that a)if I didn't have a plan for dinner then we would most likely have dinner out and b) half the time I don't cook dinner is because I let it go with other busy-ness during the day that I am too tired to think about cooking something. So, enter the crockpot and the rekindling of my relationship with it. I missed it so.

I have also been using Pe*Pod to shop online for groceries. I am loving it. I take my recipe book to the computer, type in ingredients, purchase the amount on-line, reserve a delivery time and voila grocery shopping is done. I can't tell you how pleased this makes me considering that I loathe the grocery stores in our area and usually after leaving one I am in a apoplectic fit over poor customer service, poor quality or that they are out of a necessity (its usually all three). You would think living in such close proximity to the largest city in the nation would mean you would have fantastic stores with a plethora of selection. NO. Our standard grocery stores are more like a rinky-dink grocery store in some hole in the wall town---and I don't live in a hole in the wall town. And the better/specialty food stores are so cramped for space because there is none and if there is then its very expensive that shopping in one sends me into a rage, especially because they are always crowded and because they are so small, they are constantly restocking the shelves further crowding the store making it impossible to pass by. But alas, Pe*Pod has made my grocery buying experience so much better and even though they charge a delivery fee, our grocery bill has reduced because I am no longer going up and down the aisle of the grocery store throwing items in the basket that I don't really need and it has reduced my blood pressure. Its the greatest thing since sliced bread.

So, for a couple of weeks now, I have been grocery shopping happy and crockpot mad! I have been using the crockpot 3-4 times a week for dinner meals. When I am making breakfast in the morning I gather all the dinner ingredients and begin working on putting dinner in the crockpot. It simmers all day making the house smell nice and dinner is ready by 5:30 p.m. I feel like June Freaking Cleaver. If I keep this up I think I may be forced to buy a floral apron and wear my Momma's pearls everyday.

To add to my crockpot delight, I discovered this blog. This mom decided to use her crockpot every single day in 2008 and I discovered she has a recipe for Shepherd's Pie in the crockpot. Oh, yea! So, dust off your crockpot and get cookin'.


No comments